Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Twosdays With Dorie: Honey Nut Scones & Far Breton



After my lackluster participation in October, I was quite pleased with myself for making two Tuesdays With Dorie recipes this week. In order to complete the book by the end of 2011, we are doubling up on recipes this month - with the option to make one or both. You can stop by the Tuesdays With Dorie site to see what the rest of the bakers decided to bake.



First up are Honey Whole Wheat Scones, selected by Jeannette of The Whimsical Cupcake; you can find the recipe here on her site. Josh has not had great breakfast treats the past couple weeks, they have been homemade so they haven’t been that bad, but nothing special. I am happy to say that these scones break the boring breakfast streak. Since these scones are just lightly sweetened, with two tablespoons of honey, I resisted sprinkling sugar on the top in order for them to maintain their wholesomeness. The only minor modification I made was mixing the nuts with the rest of the dry ingredients in order to work the dough as little as possible. I loved the bit of crunch the nuts added, and though they weren't sweet, we did not think they needed any extra accoutrements.



The second recipe selected was Far Breton, by Nicole of Cookies on Friday; the recipe is posted here. I had no idea what to expect with the breton; the batter reminded me of crepe batter, and the flavor and texture kind of reminded of bread pudding without the bread. For something with a fancy name, it was quite simple to make. I made the batter (a half recipe) in the two-cup container that came with my immersion blender, which made the clean-up very easy.






I did have trouble telling if the breton was done, so I erred on the longer side, and the texture was fine. This recipe kind of reminded me of my early days with Tuesdays With Dorie when it seemed like we were constantly making things I hadn’t heard of. It’s very satisfying to think of how my baking skills and repertoire have improved in the past three years.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

They both look great! I like not-too-sweet scones, and it's always fun to try one of Dorie's mysterious recipes, but I didn't make either of these. Oh well.

Anonymous said...

Your scones look so fantastic!! craggy and rustic and inviting! I'm glad that both you and josh enjoyed them :) I couldn't get to the far brenton although I'm not too sure that I want to lol, not a fan of bread pudding/custardy type desserts. Thank you for baking along with me :)

Unknown said...

Haha, I had to look up what far breton was, it definitely reminded me of earlier TWD times too :) I didn't think the far breton would be a hit here with its custardy texture, so I made the scones instead. Yours look fantastic, definitely a good breakfast treat for Josh!

Cakelaw said...

Great job - your Far Breton actually looks delish in a rustic way (mine looks like someone sat on it), and your scones look good too.

steph- whisk/spoon said...

those are really good looking scones! i didn't make them myself this week, but i did enjoy the far breton.

Leslie said...

I haven't made the Far Breton (yet) but after seeing your tip (using the container for your immersion blender) I'm definitely going to do them since I just got that same container with my new Cuisinart immersion blender yesterday. Coincidence? I don't think so.

Your scones look perfect and your Far Breton looks great, too!

Unknown said...

I loved that we made something totally unfamiliar (and delicious) this week. Your Far looks great, as do the scones. I thought they were addictive without any extra sweetener, too.

spike. said...

So impressed that you got both recipes in! I'm interested in the far breton- did you like it?

margot said...

@Spike - we like the Breton! I thought it would be too custardy and was pleasantly surprised.