Tuesday, November 8, 2011

TWD: Mini Madeleines



After ambitiously making both of the recipes selected for Tuesdays With Dorie last week, I am back to just one today: Mini Madeleines. I honestly cannot remember the last time I used my mini madeleine pan - probably right after I bought it three years ago, if at all. And they’re so tiny and adorable! A dozen of these cuties fit on one salad plate. I learned that mini madeleines bake really fast. The recipe said that they would take between eight and ten minutes; mine were very brown after eight minutes, so I baked the subsequent batches at seven and a half, and as evidenced by the color (not so sneakily disguised with powdered sugar), they probably would have been fine at seven minutes. I also learned that you really don’t need more than one teaspoon of batter per mold; they didn’t seem full enough, so my first batch ran over a bit.



I noticed the rest of the madeleine recipes in Baking all require using a mixture and these were just made with a whisk. I was curious what the texture would be like and they were perfectly cakey. Josh rated the madeleines an 8 for Deliciousness and I gave them a 2.5 for Effort, for an EDR 3.2. Many thanks Di of Di’s Kitchen Notebook for giving me an opportunity to dust off the madeleine pans. You can find the recipe here on her site, and visit the TWD site to see what the other bakers concocted this week.

7 comments:

Di said...

Those look great! I had to watch mine like a hawk to make sure they didn't get too brown, and they were done early too. I always seem to overfill my pan, also. =)

Hindy said...

Your minis are gorgeous! I will have to get around to making them. Thanks for the tips of finessing the recipe.

Unknown said...

I had the super fast browning as well as the overfilled pan issue with mine too but I forgave their high maintenance nature after tasting them :) I'm not usually a huge madeleine fan, but these really hit the spot!

Cakelaw said...

Your mads are just adorable! Love the plate they're on too.

HanaĆ¢ said...

They look beautiful. I like how you arranged them on the plate. I definitely have to dust off my madeleine pan too. I bookmarked Di's recipe for future baking.

spike. said...

Wish I had a madeleine pan- Yours look so cute! Glad the texture worked out...wonder why Dorie uses two different mixing methods for madeleines?

TeaLady said...

Beautiful little mads. I have got to get a pan. They are just too cute not to make them - often!!