Tuesday, June 7, 2011

TWD: Blueberry-Brown Sugar Plain Cake

The great recipes just keep on coming for Tuesdays With Dorie. This week we made Blueberry-Brown Sugar Plain Cake! I do most of my more complicated baking on the weekend, but I generally bake on a least one weeknight (usually Wednesday) and this is exactly the type of recipe I like to make: something that can be put together in the time it takes dinner to cook, can be dumped into one pan, and does not need to be frosted. Something that will feed Josh breakfast for a few days is also often in the criteria for midweek baking and this will definitely do that. (In full disclosure, this particular recipe was actually made on Monday night.)






Anyway, since somehow I’ve managed a record three posts in 24 hours, I will not continue to yammer on too much about this cake other than to say we liked it! I’m actually considering forgoing my usual healthy breakfast tomorrow in favor of eating this cake, which says a lot about it. We rated this cake an 8 for Deliciousness and a 3 for Effort (though I was surprised that a "plain cake" involved whipping egg whites separately), for an EDR of 2.666.



Many thanks to Cindy of Everyday Insanity for selecting this lovely cake. You can find the recipe here on her site and visit the TWD site to see how the other bakers liked it.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was sad when I saw that we had to whip egg whites, but this was still pretty quick to make. If it has fruit in it, I think it's OK to eat it for breakfast!

Cindy said...

Thanks for baking along with me. This cake makes a great breakfast--go for it! Have a great day,

HanaĆ¢ said...

Beautiful crumb! I love simple cakes and this one would definitely qualify as a breakfast cake. I'll have to mark this recipe in my copy of Dorie's book.

Unknown said...

I think my stepfather enjoyed this cake for breakfast, lunch, afternoon snack and dessert - it's definitely versatile! Love your photos.

alvarosa said...

Yours looks just like what I had in mind when I read the recipe!

Kayte said...

I was planning to have a small slice for breakfast but guess what? Apparently they ate it all before bed last night. Hmmmm. lol Yours looks lovely.

TeaLady said...

Was still a very quick cake. And simple enough to make on a moments notice. Not to mention how tasty it was.

Unknown said...

I thought the egg white whipping was a little much, but in the end I think it helped lighten the cake's texture. But I have to agree - excellent for breakfast!

Cakelaw said...

Your cake looks fluffy and delicious Margot. It was a hit at my work and with me.

Pamela said...

Love that first shot of the the cake. This was a great little cake.

Unknown said...

Margot! Welcome back!! (A bit behind on my blog catch up!) I hope you had a wonderful honeymoon!! Yay! Your blueberry cake looks perfect...I need to make this one...sounds like everyone really enjoyed it!! And 3 posts in 24 hrs?? Wow, you are awesome!!! And inspiring! xo

cocoa and coconut said...

I love cakes with fruit in the batter. This looks just great and I bet it was!

Also your last post with the buttermilk cake looks delicious too. Sorry I missed it.

Mimi said...

I'm sure my kids would love this for breakfast.
Mimi