Sunday, November 4, 2012

Baked Sunday Mornings: Buttermilk Pie (with a a hint of Maple Syrup)


This week the Baked Sunday Mornings group made Buttermilk Pie (with a hint of Maple Syrup). I was not familiar with buttermilk pies until a couple years back when I made a lemon buttermilk pie with another baking group. Custardy pies are not usually a favorite around here, but we enjoyed the buttermilk pie before, so I was looking forward to this one. Even so, I decided that it might be good to scale it back in size, as pies do lose their appeal after a few days and there are just two of us. During previous holiday seasons – and seriously, I guess it is that time – Crate and Barrel sold some cute six-inch ceramic pie plates. I went in search of them, but they do not seem to be available this year. Luckily I happened upon one at a different store, making it easy to cut the recipe in half. And yes, I am acutely aware, particularly this week, that I am fortunate that these are the types of “problems” I have. 

This was my first time making the pie dough from any of the Baked books. I usually make it by hand rather than in the processor and the processor made this dough appear smoother than my dough generally looks (I just hope it wasn’t overworked). I have yet to actually try the pie, so I have yet to assess if it turned out. I did make a little tester ramekin of the filling and loved it. I think this pie would be wonderful with any kind of fruit, from berries to spiced baked pears. 

The recipe notes do acknowledge that this pie is not very pretty and I have to say I found it hard to photograph, as there is not much contrast. To see how the other bakers’ pies turned out, please visit the Baked Sunday Mornings site.

7 comments:

Have Apron....Will Bake said...

I like the amount of crust around the edges. It looks nice with the bigger edge. Good idea to make a smaller pie.

Candy said...

Love mini pies and that's what I made too!

Sheri said...

I scrambled to find people to give my extra pie to - good idea to make a small version.

I really love this pie, but I'm a big fan of custard pies. Other pies, not so much.

Virginia Taylors said...

Great looking pie..I wish I had used my small pie pans!

Anonymous said...

I agree with Margot-- I love your puffed crust around the top! Great idea to make smaller pies-- I just had to throw out about half of mine because it doesn't keep very long.

Elaine said...

That is a perfect size pie. I will have to look for those 6-inch pie pans because sometimes you don't want to have a half pie leftover especially when it is the kind of pie that doesn't taste good the second day. I really like the even color of your pie.

Anonymous said...

I haven't had buttermilk pie in AGES. Have to try it again.

Love little pie pans.