Sunday, February 7, 2010

SMS: Red Velvet Cake


This week’s Sweet Melissa Sundays recipe is Red Velvet Cake. What a fun way to begin the month of February! I had never had red velvet cake until about four years ago, when I made it myself. The first time I made it I frosted it with chocolate icing, which people thought was a little strange, but I stand by my decision – it’s yummy. This time I went with the traditional cream cheese frosting, though. Since I am attempting to cut back my sugar intake (nothing drastic, just trying to have there be more days that I don’t eat treats than days I do), I made the majority of the recipe into cupcakes and sent them to work with Josh. He said they went pretty fast, so I would take that as a sign they were a hit. There was enough batter to make two little 4.5-inch cakes, so I made a mini-layer cake for us to eat at home (there was an extra layer that we just ate plain).



I thought this was delicious red velvet cake: fluffy and moist, and I enjoyed the hint of cinnamon along with the cocoa. In fact, I liked it so much I may make it again and turn it into cake-pops for a birthday party next week. This recipe rated a 9 for Deliciousness and a 4 for Effort (mainly ‘cos I was exhausted when I baked it and made a mess piping frosting on the cupcakes), giving it an EDR of 2.25. Many thanks to Rosy of Rosy Lips and Lavender for a great selection. You can find the recipe here on Rosy’s site and visit the SMS blogroll to see what the rest of the bakers thought of this cake.

11 comments:

Nina said...

The mini cakes look adorable! I had actually made some cake balls with my red velvet and everyone loved them! Hope the cake balls work out well for you!

Rosy said...

Your layer cake is gorgeous and beautifully iced!! So pleased you liked it - I think maybe it's not a 'classic' red velvet cake but still a super yummy cake in its own right!! Thank you so much for baking with me this week. R x

Megan said...

I haven't tried that version yet, but I do like the idea of frosting it with chocolate frosting instead of cream cheese.

Although, knowing me, that shouldn't come as a surprise!

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love your rustic frosting job. It looks like it belongs in a cookbook :)

k.a.r.e.n said...

Great looking mini cake! It's so cute.

Leslie said...

I like your cute little cake! And I totally embrace your idea of using a chocolate frosting--more chocolate is always better for me. There were a lot of us who made cupcakes with an eye to unloading them at work.

Unknown said...

Cake balls - what a wonderful idea! I think this would be a great recipe to use for those. Your mini layer cake is adorable! I have those same 4.5" pans - I'll definitely have to keep them in mind in the future as a layer cake option. There's not much that's cuter than a mini layer cake!

Candy said...

Your mini cake is so cute! The frosting looks delicious. Great job!

Bella Baker said...

yum! I love your mini cake! its so pretty!!!

spike. said...

the mini cake looks perfect! I'm trying to imagine red velvet with chocolate frosting- sounds good to me but I do love the cream cheese.

Anonymous said...

Your mini cake is so cute! I've never eaten or made red velvet cake and I've never made cake balls. There's so much I'd like to try, but it's hard to get to it all.