Tuesday, December 22, 2009

TWD: My Favorite Pecan Pie


Dorie calls this week’s treat “My Favorite Pecan Pie.” I have to say, I generally like the idea of pecan pie better than the finished product. I mean, I like pecans and always think the pie will be yummy, but the proportion of nuts to sweetened gelatinous matter is often very disappointing. Not this one, though. Dorie decreases the sugar and amps up the flavor with cinnamon, espresso powder, and chocolate. I learned from making Dorie’s Cinnamon Squares what a marvelous combination those flavors are and they did not disappoint in this pie. And bonus: it’s actually really easy to make! You do have to plan a little bit ahead to make pie dough, but the filling comes together in a matter of minutes and requires only one bowl – awesome!



We rated this recipe a solid 9 for Deliciousness and a 3 for Effort, giving it an EDR of 3. Many thanks to Beth of Someone’s in the Kitchen with Brina for selecting this delectable pie. You can find the recipe on Beth’s site and stop by the Tuesdays With Dorie blogroll to see what the other bakers thought of this treat. Due to Christmas, it’s whatever day of the week we want with Dorie, though, so many will probably post later in the week. This would definitely be a wonderful Christmas dessert and I am slightly tempted to make it again.

21 comments:

Lucia from Madison said...

This looks great. Merry Christmas!

Cakelaw said...

Your pie turned out great Margot. I liked this recipe so much more than any pecan pie recipe I have tried before - usually, they are kind of runny inside, and dripping in maple syrup - this one was firm and good.

Beth said...

Beautiful! Thanks so much for baking along with me this week.

spike. said...

Yay! Glad you liked it better than the ave pecan pie. I'll take that huge slice, thank you.

Unknown said...

Margot, your pie looks wonderful! Can't wait to make this one!! Love your pie pan, too! :)

betty geek said...

Your pie looks fantastic! I mean, SENSATIONAL!

Doesn't get any better than that!

Happy Holidays, my friend.

Megan said...

Wow Margot, your pie held together perfectly. I wish I could say the same!

Bella Baker said...

Your pie looks fabulous! I really loved this pie as well!!! Great job on yours!

Lillian said...

This is my second-favorite pie of all time -- really wonderful. And yours looks great!

Anonymous said...

It looks great! I skipped this one, but I'll have to keep it in mind - a not-so-gooey pecan pie sounds great.

Leslie said...

Gorgeous pie, Margot! We also liked that this wasn't cloyingly sweet.

CookiePie said...

Lovely pie - your photos are so pretty!!

Anonymous said...

I'm really glad you liked this :D As you already read, I am not a huge pecan pie fan and this one changed my whole perspective.

Beautiful pie, by the way.

Hanaâ said...

Gorgeous pie, Margot. I'm allergic to pecans but maybe I should just have a small bite and keep my epi-pen within reach :o) Maybe not... :o)

Heather said...

A beautiful pie! I agree that the sugar content was just about right too.

TeaLady said...

Glad it worked out for you. Made it for TG, but fam didn't like with the chocolate, so made it w/o for Christmas.

Yours is beautiful.

Hindy said...

3 - this must be one of your highest rated recipes. Your crust is the perfect colour. Apparently your chocolate didn't fall out of the bowl in a huge clump and clog the centre of the pie. Well don!
Happy holidays!

Susan said...

Your pie looks great! Hope you had a wonderful Christmas!

Nancy/n.o.e said...

What a pretty pie, Margot, and I'm glad it had the perfect proportions for you (a "9" is a pretty high deliciousness rating). I love that Dorie's desserts are not super sugary/sweet - she puts more emphasis on the flavors that way, it seems, don't you think?

JoAnn Freda said...

Wow, this pie is beautiful. It looks every bit as good as the one pictured in Dorie's book, which I now own! Yay!

Unknown said...

I didn't get around to making this one but it's been getting rave reviews from the bloggers I've visited. I'm not a fan of pecans so it's not high on my list, but maybe someday :) Yours looks wonderful!