Thursday, August 13, 2009

Blueberry-Buttermilk Sherbet


You could call these his and hers ice cream flavors: Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough for my boyfriend – we run the same number of miles per week, but my metabolism cannot handle nearly as many decadent desserts as his – and Blueberry-Buttermilk Sherbet for me (though I did, of course, steal some bites of cookie dough ice cream and Mr. Penpen thought the sherbet was the best of the healthier concoctions to come out of our ice cream maker); the sherbet has the pure fruit taste of a good sorbet, but the buttermilk makes it a bit more substantial and slightly creamy; overall, an excellent summer dessert – you won’t even miss the heavy cream.





Blueberry-Buttermilk Sherbet, adapted from Blackberry-Buttermilk Sherbet from page 129 of Pure Dessert by Alice Medrich, printable recipe HERE

3 cups fresh blueberries, rinsed and drained

1 cup sugar

2 ¾ cups buttermilk


Pulse the berries and sugar in a food processor until they are pureed, but a few small chunks remain (alternatively, mash together by hand). Transfer blueberry mixture to medium bowl and stir in buttermilk. Chill the mixture in the refrigerator (the original recipe does not specify for how long; I left mine in for several hours, but an hour would probably be fine). For an extra-cold start, put the mixture in the freezer, stirring once or twice to prevent freezing (I did not do this). Freeze the mixture in your ice cream maker, according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Serve soft or transfer to an airtight container and freeze until hard enough to scoop. Best served within several days (I have been testing the boundaries on this, since the recipe makes a lot).

6 comments:

Nina said...

ohhh. That sounds really good. I think that I'll make that for my friend who loves blueberries once I decide to get an ice cream maker. =]

spike. said...

both variations sound good to me!

Megan said...

You've certainly been busy - I've missed so much on your blog! Everything looks fabulous!

Anonymous said...

They both sound great, and the color of the blueberry-buttermilk sherbet is so beautiful!

Nancy/n.o.e said...

That sentence was as smooth and unctuous as a good creamy ice cream; love the his and hers ice creams and I'm excited to try that sherbet - I have that book and have made nothing from it yet (oh, and is the EDR a victim of the One-Sentence-Challenges?)!

Unknown said...

His and hers - I love it!! I'd probably choose the cookie dough but the blueberry looks awesome too. It's a great color!