Saturday, April 25, 2009

Rice Krispies Treat Ice Cream


Last summer I discovered how easy and wonderful homemade ice cream is, and Mr. Penpen and I went a little overboard experimenting with different flavor combinations. Seriously, I think there was a three-month period when there was a batch in our freezer at all times. One of the flavors Mr. Penpen considered trying was Rice Krispies Treat. I could see his logic; I mean, who doesn’t love the simple but satisfying combination of rice cereal and marshmallows. And homemade ice cream? Also irresistible. I was a little skeptical of combining the two, though, since I wasn’t sure how Rice Krispy Treats would freeze, and ice cream maker went into hibernation (after I stepped on the scale) before Mr. Penpen had a chance to try it.



It turns out he was on to something: last Sunday we were out to brunch with some friends, and the restaurant’s “shake of the day” was Rice Krispies! Naturally our table had to try it and it was just as awesome as Mr. Penpen had speculated it would be. Sweet, creamy, and the krispies added a fantastic crunch. We decided we must try it at home (Mr. Penpen is elated to report the ice cream maker has been back in action on a more moderate basis for several months now.).

I used the basic vanilla ice cream recipe that came in the booklet with my Cuisinart ice cream maker. I do occasionally make custard-style ice creams, but I prefer Philadelphia-style (no cooking or eggs – yay!) when I’m making vanilla ice cream with goodies mixed in. I don’t really think there is much you can do to improve upon the basic Rice KrispiesTreat recipe, but I always add at least an extra cup of marshmallows, as I like a high marshmallow to cereal ratio.

Rice Krispies Treat Ice Cream
4 Rice Krispies Treats
1 cup whole milk
¾ cup sugar
2 cups cream
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon malt powder (I would actually up it next time to about a tablespoon)

Cut three of the Rice Krispies Treats into small pieces and put in a freezer-safe container, place the remaining treat in a Ziploc bag, and freeze all of the treats for forty-five minutes. Remove the treat in the bag from the freezer and crush the treat with a heavy jar until it turns to crumbs. Whisk together the sugar and milk in a medium bowl until the sugar dissolves, then stir the vanilla and cream into the mixture. Chill in your ice cream maker, according to instructions. For a Cuisinart ice cream maker, the total time is twenty-five to thirty minutes. Five minutes before the ice cream is done chilling, add the krispy crumbs, malt powder, and cut-up treats. When ice cream is done mixing, serve or chill in freezer. Serve with extra Rice Krispies Treats on top.

3 comments:

Megan said...

Oh my gosh - I can feel the scale going up just looking at the recipe. What until I show Sabrina - she loves ice cream and rice krispies! And why didn't I ever think to combine the two? You are a genius!

Nancy/n.o.e said...

What a fun - and delicious - collaborative recipe! Those ice cream makers are dangerous, aren't they?
Nancy

Unknown said...

SO funny. I just posted a recipe of my own for this on my ice cream blog: http://scoopalicious.blogspot.com...

I thought I was original, but then doing a searchfor Rice Krispie treat Ice Cream, I come across yours!

Did you find the rice krispie treats to get soggy in the ice cream??

I'll have to try your recipe!