Tuesday, December 16, 2008

TWD: Buttery Jam Cookies

When I first saw the recipe for Buttery Jam Cookies, I thought it sounded a little boring. However, this was my first weekend with a curious Weimaraner underfoot, so I was quite relieved that this week’s Tuesdays With Dorie recipe was lacking the multiple steps and chilling periods that many recipes have. And they didn’t turn out to be boring!





I made mine with apricot jam and the suggested ginger chunks, and they were delicious. The cookies didn’t spread too much (I mixed a little more than I should have and ended up having to refrigerate them for several hours before baking), but they weren’t dense. I would definitely agree with Dorie’s assessment that they are a cross between sturdy cookie-jar cookie and a tea cookie. I appreciate that they aren’t too decadent – I haven’t been making Mr. Penpen eat all the treats this week – and that you can easily make them with pantry staples. (Unless you discover your apricot jam has gone moldy and have to send your boyfriend to the store, like I did.)


This recipe rates a 7 for D and a 3 for E, giving it a very respectable EDR of 2.3. Many thanks to Heather of Randomosity and the Girl for picking this simple, flavorful cookie at just the right time. You can find the recipe for Buttery Jam Cookies on Heather’s site and you can check out the other TWD bakers’ cookies via the TWD blogroll.

3 comments:

Leslie said...

I thought about adding the suggested crystalized ginger but was too lazy to chop it. Now I'll have to try it! I'm glad you liked these!

Ras Yeti said...

That close-up cookie shot made my mouth water. I heart ginger!

TeaLady said...

Your cookies look great. Glad they turned out for you.