Tuesday, November 25, 2008

TWD: Thanksgiving Twofer

I am curious to know how many weeks it has taken for all the other TWD bakers to question whether or not joining a baking group was a good idea. It’s taken four for me. It’s great fun getting to try a myriad of recipes that I may not have attempted and see what all the other bakers do. However, I am a little concerned about all the sugar and butter I have been consuming. I am not a dieter by any stretch of the imagination, but the combination of each week’s Dorie recipe and all the other recipes I cannot resist could easily lead to trouble. (Although I am happy to say Mr. Penpen picks up a lot of the slack on finishing treats around here.)




This week’s Tuesdays with Dorie recipe was a Thanksgiving Twofer Pie (pecan and pumpkin), which would be perfect to serve at Thanksgiving. We were even given permission to post late for that very reason, and I could have even skipped TWD this week, as participation is only required two out of every four weeks. Instead, I managed to convince myself that it might be better to test out the Twofer recipe the weekend before in case it didn’t work out or people would be upset that I wasn’t serving a classic pumpkin pie on Thanksgiving.



Luckily, the recipe did work out just fine. I’m sure no one would have been disappointed to eat it on Thanksgiving, either. If I make it again, I will probably not pre-bake the crust: the inside could have used about ten more minutes while the crust was shy of burning. I thought the pie was excellent; the pumpkin filling was flavorful and creamy—I’m sold on using cream instead of condensed milk, and the pecan part was nice and crunchy. I didn’t make any changes to the recipe, except for adding a bit more spice to the pumpkin part and not using all of the pecan mixture (I didn’t want the dish to flow over). I also used my favorite pie dough recipe from Cook’s Illustrated. Until recently I was terrified of making pie dough from scratch, so I figured I might as well stick with one I’ve had success with. I gave the recipe a 9 for D and a 4 for E, giving it an EDR of 2.25, very good.




This week’s recipe was chosen by Vibi of La Casserole CarrĂ©e, and you can find the recipe on her site. To check out all the other Twofer pies, go to the Tuesdays With Dorie blogroll.

5 comments:

Ras Yeti said...

Good looking pie! A friend of mine's family does a big Pie Breakfast every year on Thanksgiving. The guests all show up to the house bearing pies of all varieties (not just pumpkin) and everyone dives in, progressive pie party style. I think they had like 20 pies last year. Stuffed and satisfied, they then play a big game of football to work up an appetite before eating a late Turkey dinner. I love pie.

vibi said...

Thank you so much Margot, for participating with me this week!
Your pie turned to be beautiful and I'm glad you enjoyed it enough to consider remaking it for THE day.
A very happy Thanksgiving toyou and your family!cerov

Engineer Baker said...

Looks wonderful! I began mini-sizing my recipes for TWD soon after starting, and went to the gym a lot more than I used to :) So worth it though!

TeaLady said...

Yeah, it is a lot of sugar and butter, but hey, you only live once. I think I will go to twice a month and pick and choose which ones I really want to do. Nice job on this pie.

Leslie said...

Great pie! I take most of what I bake to work and share it with others. Some people hate me but most enjoy the goodies!