Sunday, April 21, 2013

Baked Sunday Mornings: Black & White Cookies


This week’s Baked Sunday Mornings selection is Black and White Cookies.  I had made black and white cookies one time before; I think it was from a David Lebovitz recipe.  My husband remembered that I had made them before and sounded a little surprised that I was attempting them again.  You see, last time the cookies were very delicious, but I got very frustrated with frosting - it was super-runny and the colors blobbed together.   Very disappointing.  Anyway, this time I was careful to make sure the frosting did not get too drippy and took the excellent tip in the book to use a piping bag to make them look nice and neat.
Although the cookies did not turn out quite as perfect as ones that you see in a bakery (and I totally did not notice the instruction to frost the flat side of the cookie), they are about a million times more aesthetically pleasing than my first batch.  And once again, very delicious.  Since it was several years ago, I don’t remember exactly what they tasted like, but I think this recipe is a bit cakier and I like it!  You can find the recipe here and view the other bakers’ links here.
I also made last week’s Sunrise Key Lime Tarts, then somehow my Sunday slipped away from me and I didn’t get around to posting them.  I have made key lime pie many times (it happens to be one of Josh’s more requested treats) and thanks to Cook’s Illustrated, I make a pretty good one.  I was happy to try the Baked version and we loved the pretzel crust – I am plotting more dessert ideas to make with it.  You can find the recipe here.

4 comments:

Sheri said...

So glad you liked these cookies and had better luck this time.

Also: your tarts - gorgeous!

Unknown said...

Both treats look awesome! I remember feeling frustrated when I made black and white cookies too - gave me new respect for those perfect ones I see in bakeries :) I need to try that pretzel crust soon, I've seen quite a few Baked Sunday Mornings members rave about it!

spike. said...

Both desserts look great. Love a good cake like b&w cookie. Pretzel crust sounds fun too

Bourbonnatrix said...

Love both your cookies and lime tarts! I really have to make that last recipe!