Sunday, October 14, 2012

Baked Sunday Mornings: atmeal Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Scones


Over the past five years I have run numerous road races. There have been a few that have been not so great (usually involving hilly streets in in San Francisco), many that I have enjoyed and/or learned something from, and one particularly spectacular day in 2010 that involved completing a marathon and a proposal. There are a few common factors that pretty much all races I run have: Josh is with me, Rihanna is on the playlist, and I eat a Chocolate Chip Peanut Crunch Clif Bar before the race. This week’s Baked Sunday Mornings selection, Oatmeal Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Scones, is basically the awesome pastry version of my pre-race fuel of choice, so naturally I felt pre-disposed to like it. 



These scones did not disappoint. I mean, seriously, peanut butter and chocolate chips for breakfast? No complaints here. Other than the chocolate chips, there really was not an excessive amount of sugar in the recipe - I have definitely made more decadent scones. I gave one to Josh warm out of the oven and he pronounced it “ridiculously good.”  (And went on to have a second shortly thereafter.)  I had made some healthy-ish muffins for his breakfasts last week, and he ate them, but these are definitely a step up in the breakfast department. 

You can find the recipe here on the Baked Sunday Mornings website and check the other bakers’ links here.

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Haha, I'm with you - anything labeled as breakfast food that includes peanut butter and chocolate chips is sure to get my seal of approval! Shane is running a marathon next weekend, maybe I should whip up a batch of these pre-race :)

Anonymous said...

These would make a great pre-race treat! Yours look great!

mike509 said...

Looks fantastic! My pre-marathon standard is boring old pb on toast. I will have to freeze these for the next batch to have on hand. Glad you enjoyed them - they were quite easy to make!

Anonymous said...

These were on my countertop when I left for my 10 miler Saturday morning, and I never even considered eating one. I thought mine were far too heavy and dense. Yours look great!

Rebecca said...

Hmm...I think these scones could inspire me to run. I loved them, especially warm from the oven.

Sheri said...

Great idea to make these for pre-race fuel! Of course, you'd need to practice many times on training runs to make sure it works for you. :)

Unknown said...

I'm so impressed! Just stopping by after your 8 month hiatus...I might have to send my husband over there he would love your dinners and desserts!
X Ta cousine across the pond ;-)Liz

Unknown said...

I like the idea of being fueled by such delicious scones-Beautiful scones!

Anonymous said...

Yup, I am completely on board with calling this puppy 'healthy' and totally appropriate before a race! :)

Elaine said...

Your scones look great! I think I would enjoy these for breakfast any day pre-race or not!

Bourbonnatrix said...

great looking scones!

Anonymous said...

OH!! I have to make these. PB in scones. They are calling my name.

They look GREAT!!