Sunday, September 20, 2009

SMS: Orange Scented Scones



This week’s Sweet Melissa Sundays treat is Orange-Scented Scones. I love waking up on Saturday mornings knowing that I have time to fuss around in the kitchen and make us a nice breakfast, rather than the typical rushed weekday, and I am always happy to try new recipes. I’ve mentioned before that I think oats are wonderful in scones, so I was happy to see that it appeared in the ingredient list for this recipe. I made a few minor modifications to the original recipe: I added the zest of an entire orange rather than two teaspoons (that didn’t seem like it would give these a bold enough flavor), I added an extra tablespoon and a half of sugar since one tablespoon seemed a little low, and in an effort to cut a few calories, I used half and half rather than heavy cream – I figured the orange would be the star of the show, not the cream as in some scones.



My dough was a little on the sticky side, I assume due to the half and half, so I contemplated scooping the scones into rounds rather than cutting into triangles. Instead I added a dash of flour to the dough and generously dusted my pastry board with flour, which enabled me to shape the dough into its eight-inch round and slice. I cut my scones into eight wedges rather than the suggested six, since they looked like they’d be substantial enough either way (and also to help myself with portion control). The scones baked up beautifully, they had a nice tender crumb and I enjoyed the essence of orange. The book suggests pairing them with jumbleberry jam and coincidentally I had made the jumbleberry jam in the Sweet Melissa Baking Book two weeks ago, so I opened a jar to spread on our scones. Melissa is right; it is a lovely accompaniment, as these scones are not terribly sweet.



I gave this recipe a 7.5 for Deliciousness and a 2 for Effort, giving it an EDR of 3.75. Many thanks to Robin of Lady Craddock’s Bakery for selecting this great recipe. You can find the recipe HERE on Robin’s site and see what the other bakers thought by visiting the SMS blogroll.

10 comments:

Nina said...

wow your scones look so nice! I'm sure it was delicious with the jam!

Lulu the Baker said...

I was so busy eating them, I didn't even think about jam! I guess I'll have to make another batch...

Mrs. G said...

Your scones look great, especially with jam on the side.

Katiecakes said...

I love to say jumbleberry. It just rolls off the tongue!

Your scones look fab! I added a whole oranges worth of zest too, 2 tsps just didnt seem enough.

Katie xox

Susan said...

Your scones look great. I used jam in my picture, but ate the scones plain. :)

Hanaâ said...

I'm glad the little bit of extra flour made the dough manageable. Your scones look great. Funny you paired them with homemade jam. I did too :o) I will be posting it later today (I'm late).

Fit Chick said...

Your scones look perfect! Thanks for baking along with me this week and I am so glad they turned out for you. I must try that jam, yummy.

Julie said...

Your scones look beautiful! Also your TWD pufflets look wonderful!

spike. said...

I loved these scones and can't wait to make them again! Yours look beautiful

Kaitlin said...

Yes, these scones definitely pair well with jam! The sweetness really adds to the flavour. Your scones look gorgeous.