Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Tuesdays With Dorie: Rugelach

I am delighted to announce that I have joined a baking group. I will be joining hundreds of other fabulous bakers each week with the group, Tuesdays with Dorie. Each week the group bakes a different recipe from Dorie Greenspan’s Baking: From my Home to Yours. I purchased my copy of Baking two months ago, and have been averaging about one recipe per week on my own. I figured I may as well join in on the fun and camaraderie a group offers. I think joining the group will give me the opportunity to bake a lot of recipes I normally wouldn’t try, and hopefully meet some fellow food bloggers. This week’s TWD was hosted by Piggy of Piggy’s Cooking Journal. The recipe Piggy chose was Rugelach and you can find the recipe on her site. I never would have attempted to make rugelach, as I have never been much of a fan, but making it turned out to be a lovely way to spend a rainy Saturday afternoon.














I followed the recipe almost precisely, though I used cranberries rather than the suggested currants and a bit less chocolate than the recipe called for. I also didn’t press the goodies on top into the dough ‘cos I didn’t have any wax paper and I was afraid of making a huge, sticky mess by trying saran wrap or parchment paper. Luckily it didn’t seem to make much of a difference; my rugelach rolled just fine. My first batch turned out a little crunchy on the bottom, due to my temperamental oven; they still tasted great, though. I gave this recipe an 8 for D and a 6 for E, giving it an EDR of 1.33. I am kind of sad I gave most of them away. I guess I’ll have to make them again soon.

I look forward to next week’s TWD!

3 comments:

Bungalow Barbara said...

Welcome to TWD! Glad you liked these!

Anonymous said...

Just so you know (for next time!), parchment paper worked just fine for pressing the filling. Welcome to TWD!

Leslie said...

Welcome to TWD! Your rugelach look wonderful!