Sunday, July 10, 2011

SMS: Plum and Raspberry Pie with a Sweet Almond Lattice



I haven’t participated with the Sweet Melissa Sundays group in months, but when I saw that my blogging buddy Gloria of The Gingersnap Girl selected Plum and Raspberry Pie with a Sweet Almond Lattice as this week’s recipe, I decided to bake-along. Who can say no to a pie at the height of summer fruit season? Also, making a lattice-top pie has been on my to-try list for a while. Unfortunately, making a pretty one still is!



I was really proud of myself early yesterday morning, thinking I was getting the hard work out of the way by making both the base pie dough and the lattice dough. Little did I know, that even after several hours in the refrigerator, plus another twenty minutes or so after I cut the strips, the lattice dough would be a crumbly mess to work with. I made two mini pies with a half recipe, which I thought would make the elusive lattice top a bit easier and in this instance, I was definitely wrong. I got lazy and ended up just haphazardly placing the strips on top of my mini pies.



The pies aren’t beautiful, but they definitely make up for it in taste. Gloria had said this recipe pairs perfectly with Melissa’s Brown Sugar Vanilla Ice Cream, so I decided to make it to have with the pie. (I’ve made this ice cream many times since it was originally chosen two years ago and it’s always a hit.) I’m glad I did, as the pie was a bit tart and it was nice to have something sweet to complement it. The pie rated a 9 for Deliciousness and I gave it a 5 for Effort for an EDR of 1.8. You can find the recipe here on Gloria’s site and visit the Sweet Melissa site to see how the other bakers fared.

7 comments:

Gloria - The Ginger Snap Girl said...

Margot, your mini's look so cute! Sorry the lattice was so problematic. At least it made it up for it in taste. Love that you made the brown sugar vanilla ice cream. I really think that saved my pie. Mine was beyond tart and really needed that extra sweetness to make it edible.

How funny you already had almond paste and tapioca. This was my first time using almond paste. Now I have left over that I should probably figure out what to do with.

Thanks for baking along!

cocoa and coconut said...

I love fruit pies too..and what a great way to use seasonal fruits! I love the look of your fruits spilling out and over the dough

Unknown said...

I love your minis Margot! Your lattice looks really good to me. I know what you mean though - there was a good deal of frustration in my kitchen Saturday afternoon about it :)

My pie was a bit tart as well, but my freezer was too full to fit my ice cream canister unfortunately. Melissa's brown sugar vanilla ice cream is among my favorite and it definitely would have been perfect here!

JoAnn Freda said...

I love the idea of almond in the pie crust. How was it? Could you taste the almond? Raspberry and almond is a great combination. Your pies look deliciously homemade, who needs a lattice top that looks machine made?

Anonymous said...

If it got a 9, it's definitely a winner! The two kinds of crust sound really good, and I think your minis are cute.

margot said...

@JoAnn: The almond was light, but good.

Délices d´Ispahan said...

I confess that I bumped into your blog by chance.. and because we have the same name your blog capted my attention.. But what lovely things you bake!! Especially this Pie ist awesome. I like the combination of fruits and almonds...