Tuesday, March 16, 2010

TWD: Soft Chocolate and Raspberry Tart


This week’s Tuesdays With Dorie recipe is Soft Chocolate and Raspberry Tart. I must admit that I used to get slightly annoyed when my fellow bakers would select recipes containing out-of-season fruit, but I’ve relaxed my stance for a couple reasons: 1) You should really pick whatever you desire when it’s finally your turn to choose a recipe and 2) There’s invariably a multitude of other ingredients you can substitute in any given recipe. Dorie gives a few suggestions in the “playing around” section of this recipe and the Problems & Questions section of the Tuesdays With Dorie site also had some excellent ideas. I used frozen raspberries in my mini-tart, since I had a bag of them in the freezer. I left a handful of the berries in the refrigerator this morning before I went to work and they were a little gloppy when I returned, so the filling of the tart ended up a little more like jam than whole berries. I lucked out that this was a pretty fuss-free tart, seeing as I didn’t get around to making it until Tuesday night. The recipe called for a mixture of bittersweet and milk chocolate, but I used semisweet, mainly because I had Guittard wafers, which melt beautifully and involve no chopping.



We thought this tart was pretty good, but not great. Maybe if I’d used fresh berries, it would have been better, but I don’t think this one will get a repeat performance here. The tart rated a 7 for Deliciousness and a 3.5 for Effort, for an EDR of 2. Many thanks to Rachelle of Mommy? I’m Hungry! (cute name) for hosting this week. You can find the recipe here on Rachelle’s site and visit the TWD blogroll to see more tarts.




Ice cream bowl shot: we have too many desserts right now and I told Josh he needs to finish them all before he leaves for his annual Boyz Trip weekend on Friday.

10 comments:

Paula said...

Whoa girl! You've got lots of desserts going on. I like the way you have a more homogenous layer of raspberries. Prettier than the lumps I think.

Pamela said...

I guess Josh better get busy, huh? ;o) Sorry it wasn't your favorite, but at least you gave it a shot.

Jessica said...

I love the big bowl of desserts -- that's so much fun! I'm sorry that the tart wasn't your favorite dessert.

Mimi said...

Sorry you were disappointed in the results. I skipped this week, to much other sweet stuff at our house.
Mimi

Unknown said...

Sorry this one wasn't all you hoped Margot. It looks super cute - nothing better than a mini :)

I love the shots of Josh's big bowl of desserts. I wish I had someone around here to help me eat things like that!

Amanda said...

Ooo with ice cream?? YUM!

spike. said...

love that shot of all the desserts piled up!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, that bowl of desserts with ice cream on top looks wonderful!

Teanna DiMicco said...

I'm sorry it wasn't a favorite but it looks absolutely delicious! I love that it kind of turned into a raspberry jam!

Leslie said...

I think your tart looks great, but I'm intrigued by the shot of Josh's bowl. That looks like a whole lot of dessert going on in there!